12 Step Programme at The Haynes Clinic
What is a 12 Step Programme?
At The Haynes Clinic we follow the 12 Step Programme which was originally proposed by Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) as a method of recovery from alcoholism. This is a set of guiding principles outlining a course of action for recovery from addiction, compulsion, or other behavioural problems. In summary it involves:
- admitting that cannot control your addiction or compulsion;
- recognising a higher power that can give strength (this does not have to be a religious God);
- examining past mistakes;
- making amends for these;
- learning to live a new life with a new code of behaviour;
- helping others who suffer from the same addictions or compulsions.
The Original 12 Steps
The Twelve Steps are now used by other support groups such as Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and Cocaine Anonymous (CA). The original Twelve Steps as published by Alcoholics Anonymous are as follows:
- We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
While at the Haynes Clinic…
Most people will be taken through the first 5 Steps during their stay with us. However, we take each individual through at a pace to suit their own personal circumstances – some people will not get as far as this; others will progress further. We focus on our clients’ physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well being.
We start the programme by asking you to write your life story. This both helps us to understand you as a person and why and how you have arrived at The Haynes Clinic. It also helps us to start to see patterns in your behaviour and what it is in your personality that triggers drinking, drug use or other addictive behaviours. We can then work on breaking the cycle in these patterns of behaviour and in making you aware of your triggers (danger points) and character aspects that you need to work on in order to live a much happier life.
Learn more of the steps in the 12 Step Programme.
Call the Haynes Clinic on 01462 851414 for free advice on your or your loved one’s addictive habits.